Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Design for the dump?

Rich Grise wrote:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
CaveLamb wrote:

And interesting essay.
But will people buy products designed to be repaired?

http://consumerist.com/2010/11/the-s...ectronics.html

One comment states:
"Things like LCD panels themselves are simply impossible to repair,
period. It'd be like repairing the inside of an old-fashioned CRT. Isn't
gonna happen."

Then no one ever rebuilt picture tubes?

I've never heard of it done. Have you?

Thanks,
Rich

I never rebuilt a picture tube CRT but I have changed a large number of
them in the early sixties and the core charge was a pretty good dollar.
Now days they don't even want the core.

I've have been repairing and fixing things since I was a little kid.
One thing I learned to do was to sew up baseballs so they looked like
new. There was always on lying around with the cover coming off.

One time I repaired a modulator valve on a heating/ac system on an auto
mechanic friends vehicle. I had to rewind a little coil on the valve.
He told me that that part was not repairable.

One of the big problems today is that there are not many skilled repair
persons out there, most of them are parts changers, but as I think back
the TV repair shops were mostly tube changers. I made good money
repairing TV sets that the shops could not repair. I could do a
complete alignment right in the customers home. ]

John