Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Sunworshipper[_3_] Sunworshipper[_3_] is offline

Default Design for the dump?

While I'm at it. I have two toys of the same year and everything is
about 3/32 of an inch different on all interchangeable parts,
including the air filter!

Had that problem years ago when the timing chain ate through the
aluminum cover. Got another from a junk yard and majors amount of work
later the covers are 3/32" different.

You had 2 different engines. I'll bet one was an 8R and the other an
18R - or a 20R and a 22R.
The cam-in-block designs used interchangeable parts (2T and 3T, k, 2k,
3k and, IIRC, 5K) and 3R and 5R.

Wow, sounds like you work on toys. The timing chain one IIRC was the
difference between carb and injected. I almost milled it down, but I
traded it back for some skate (those tiny cars like a GEO) front seats
cause I hate the bench seats and ordered a new cover. The ones now I'm
pretty sure they are both 22Rs just one is a van and the other a
truck. Anyway, seems silly to change the mold for the plastic box that
holds the air filter.

I'm getting so cheap that the next project is trying to weld up the
last 3' of the exhaust system. Finally today I found a friend with a
pile of exhaust pipe that he said he dumpster dives for. All I need
now is some thinner welding rod.

Back when I was really poor I'd start collecting rabbits and Sciroccos
for $50-$200 and take them all apart to make one good car. I even
changed the FI head and put on the carb head, amazingly that worked.
Id love to have another. There where a number of times someone with a
new vet would rev their engine at a light and to my crappy car and I'd
leave them in the dust.

SW