Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default In-wall lighting code?

On 11/15/2010 6:51 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

Here's what I want to do (in PA).

Cut out drywall between two studs. Mount a florescent light on one of
the studs. Put a tempered frosted glass panel (in a wooden frame) over
the opening to finish it off.

Any obvious code issues here? I'm anticipating some given the recessed
application of a non-recessed fixture?

Thanks,

Sam

Uh, why not just buy a recessed fixture to put in there? It's been a few
years, but I have seen ones like you are describing. Used in auditoriums
and such for low-level wall lights that people won't bump into, before
they went to those floor-embedded rope light things.

I'm no code expert, but I'm pretty sure that what amounts to a
fully-enclosed wood recessed fixture around electrical connections and a
heat source, would not pass muster. Maybe if you lined it with metal,
but then you may as well buy a fixture.

--
aem sends...