Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Color of cherry

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 17:40:21 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Nov 13, 5:47*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Not to mention that it's a MORTAL SIN to stain and poly cherry.

I agree.....with a caveat. I love working with cherry. I have a bunch
in stock, the origin of which is known to me. I like the smell, the
way it takes detail, relatively stable and it this case not too
expensive.

Secret Stash time, wot?

So my last project was made with cherry and I blew 3 coats of MinWax
Polyshades all over it. I got the Japanese dark red colour Angela
wanted and my therapist thinks I stand a chance to be back on solid
food within 3 weeks when he'll sign for a weekend pass.

Glad to hear of your recovery, but DON'T do it again, capice?

The only other thing I had handy was 14" wide poplar, flat and
straight and 12 feet long and 6/4, so no way was I going to hurt those
boards.

Grok that. I'da made a Borg run and come back with some nifty termite
barf. And I wish I'd sprayed that last bit of polyshades I put on a
client's rolling kitchen cabinet. They had it and said "Use this,
period." 3 years of therapy later, I'm still having bad dreams about
it.

oops, time is up, I must join the group and cut out some paper
dolls...

Weave a basket for me, will ya, big guy?

xox

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling