Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Generator Governor Issues

On Nov 14, 9:11*am, Steve Kraus
wrote:
This is a no-name generator driven by an 8 HP Briggs.

It's having speed fluctuations and I'm trying to figure out why. *It seems
like the governor itself is creating them.

In this video it's running no-load and you can see the speed variations. *
Sometimes it's worse than this. *In the video I reach in and hold the
throttle and the variations cease.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi0yGna0oeM

The governor, of course, does not "know" the reason the speed has changed,
whether it's due to a load change or some other condition; it ups the
throttle when the speed drops and reduces it when the speed increases. *

In this case there is no load. *If the speed variations were due to, say,
the carb putting out an inconsistent mixture or some mechanical issue in
the engine I think the variations would be worse or at least unchanged with
a fixed throttle position. *But here a fixed throttle = fixed engine speed. *
Which leads me to believe the variations are being caused by the governor
itself.

On this engine I think the actual governor is a flyweight thing inside the
engine. *There is a shaft emerging with a lever on it which is linked to
the throttle valve.

What is my next step here? *Some people have said that the governor spring
can be very critical so I guess I'll get a new one to see if that cures it.