Posted to rec.woodworking

Default CAUTION !! HF Multifunction Tool

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 18:37:11 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 14:45:30 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

I --== MUCH ==-- prefer to go through a self-checkout line because I'm
a helluva lot faster than the idiot in front of me who needs 11 price
checks, can't find his coupons or ads for the sale prices he thought he
saw, starts to write his check the minute AFTER the checker had rung up
all 173 of his items, bought the wrong item for the sale, wants to add
several items he didn't find--through the checker, etc.

I agree. But I usually go to the checkout stand nonetheless because I
consider self-checkout just another attempt to eliminate jobs and push
those expenses to the consumer.

No, it's probably a combination of an attempt to speed things up due
to customer demand, consumer pressure to cut prices, and logic.

Self-check scanners probably cost half the price of a union worker's
wages and they can work 24/7 without overtime, vacation, sick days,
gripes, poor customer interaction, health insurance, etc.

I use the self-checkout at the supermarket exclusively, and have for
the 4 years they've been available here. I love 'em! They're quick
and easy to use, with far shorter (or no) lines to wait behind.

Our library has a self checkout option. I don't use it either. Of
course there are far fewer problems with idiot customers at the
library :-).

I use self-checkout only if they aren't holding some books for me. I
'shop' online and then pick 'em up when they've got a stack for me.
Due to our limited library hours, lines are long every day they're
open and for most hours they're open, so I try to make it there -as-
they open in the mornings or afternoons.

I do use the self check-in at the library, but only because they give no
choice.

We leave our books on the check-in counter and they handle it.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling