Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Another reason ...

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

From my view, governments /should/ be forcing (yes, forcing) people
to do what's necessary to save energy. Market forces are highly
effective in making short-term changes; they are much less effective
in effecting proper long-term changes. (Things usually get worse
until they abruptly collapse.) The problem, of course, is making
sure the forced changes are rational and occur in the correct order.

if that's what you want,then MOVE to somewhere that does that sort
of stuff. don't try to enact it here in the US. We value our freedom.

Yeah, our freedom to ruin everything without regard for the
consequences.

Think about what would have happened if the US government had, after
WW II, FORCED auto makers to gradually improve fuel mileage at a
"reasonable" rate. The world would almost certainly be quite
different.

are you familiar with CAFE? Corporate Average Fuel Economy law,that
manadates higher MPG for passenger vehicles?

the one that was responsible for more people buying TRUCKS AND SUVs with
far worse fuel economy,and for clogging our roads with even bigger
landbarges.

That was government's way of forcing better mileage. It didn't work very
well.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik