Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus12083 Ignoramus12083 is offline

Default Air tools (and refrigeration compressors)

On 2010-11-14, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Stormin Mormon" fired this volley
in :

Fabricating an air compressor with leftover parts from various sources
is
likely to be very dangerous, particularly when proper safety devices
are
ommitted.

Tell my shop air compressor that. I built it from scratch. A water
heater tank must withstand at least 125psi working pressure, or it would
explode in municipal domestic duty. My compressor tank works at 135psi,
with the line regulator set at 100psi.

Admittedly, I used components that I knew would withstand the duty (120
gal. propane tank, which, with propane, works at about 150psi in the
Southern sun), but my shop compressor is all "junk"; motor, pump, tank,
everthing literally collected from the local scrap yard -- everything,
except the motor starter, which was condemned as scrap by a compressor
company because it was unreliable. Except, it's not. They replaced the
unit with an upgrade device for free, and I salvaged the old one for my
unit. My guess is, they got a rash of failures, and changed brands; but
my specific one happens to be one of the ones that has not failed
prematurely.

The compressor's been in service for about four years. But it's junk.

LLoyd

Lloyd, so you used a propane tank to hold air. right?

A propane tank, unlike a water heater, is a pressure vessel suitable
for compressed gas.

By the way, how long did the smell persist?