Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Steel eyeglass frame repair?

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:25:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 9, 8:14*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've used soft solder to repair glasses frames. *More than strong enough
& avoids the heat needed for silver. *I suppose it's possible to control
the heat needed for silver solder, without destroying the frames, but I
can't & it sounds like you wouldn't be able to either (said without
aspersions).

'Though I have repaired frames, nowadays I don't bother, as a new pair
is $12 (shipped) from Zenni (
http://www.zennioptical.com/). *I'm a very
satisfied customer, as are others here.

Bob

I had not considered regular low temp solder - I have some silver
bearing (low temp) solder that is about 2 to 3 times the strength as
regular solder. I have read all of the Zenni threads and I am
conflicted. I find my self more and more looking at the country of
manufacture when I am buying something. I'll gladly pay a 20% premium
for a North American made product (I consider Mexico as part of NA)
over a made in CHina. The price for the Zenni eyeglasses is mighty
tempting - do I help to keep the local eyeglass store in business or
do I help to outsource more of our economy?

Sometimes epoxy putty such as A1 metalset or JB Weld will do the job,
but it may or may not look "good"

Zenni optical is very good and simple proof that US optical companies
are ripoffs, deserving of being flushed down the toilet. When they too
provide good, long lasting optical wear without a 500% markup..then we
well go back to buying from them.

Walmarts..some of them..have decent pricing on repairs and new glasses
as well. A bit higher than Zenni..but not prohibitively so.

Gunner

--
"Confiscating wealth from those who have earned it, inherited it,
or got lucky is never going to help 'the poor.' Poverty isn't