Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Color of cherry

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:42:56 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 11/12/2010 5:00 AM, jtpr wrote:
I felled a black cherry tree in my yard and now I'm milling the wood
from it. I am finding all of this wood to be about the color of
Maple, maybe a wee bit darker. How come whenever you see any Cherry
furniture or cabinets it is a dark reddish brown in color? Is it
always stained?

-Jim

Because we live in a world of instant gratification and people can't stand to
wait the six months to a year it takes for Cherry to darken on its own. And
stained Cherry never looks as good as it would if it were just left alone.

Not to mention that it's a MORTAL SIN to stain and poly cherry.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of death, I shall use neither
stain nor poly on cherry.

--
To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.
-- J. K. Rowling