Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default How much to change a pullswitch?

ARWadsworth wrote:

So if anyone wants a pullswitch fitting give me a call and I'll fit it for
£400 anywhere in the country:-)

I hope you took careful note of the explanation offered by a plumbing
firm to the new plumber on the block.

On the lines of:

If you've got the part in the van tell the customer you have to get it
from a supplier. Take an hour to go and get it, charge the customer for
the time. When you get the part go to a nearby supplier and get the
cheapest part, get a receipt but tell the customer that you only deal
trade account and can't show them a receipt. When you charge the
customer mark the part up according to how wealthy they look, about
40%[1].

[1] Actually based on usual markups this seemed a bit low, most
tradesmen mark up by 50%[2] (i.e. charge the customer twice what they
paid for the part.)

[2] This is under the "daylight robbery" technique for marking up prices
where the percentage is caculated as markup/(markup+price paid) if it
were done properly (markup/price paid) it would be 100%.