Posted to alt.home.repair
PV[_2_] PV[_2_] is offline

Default Request for an engineering hint to further improve gas siphoning into vehicle (wetness of the 2nd and 3rd can)

Dr Rig wrote:
My daughter hates to fill up with gas so I often siphon a few 5-gallon
cans to fill up her 18 gallon gasoline tank, which I don't mind at
all.

The nearest gas station is a hefty drive away and I generally keep 5
five- gallon cans full anyway, so the siphoning isn't at all a bother.

What I'd like to improve though, is the STARTING step of the second
and third gas cans, which I've only partially resolved with
'engineering'.

My hose is three parts:
- I stick an aluminum hollow camp chair leg into the 5-gallon jug
- I slip the flexible clear hose down that aluminum sleeve
- I clamped a second rigid (and thinner diameter) hose to the first
hose

i) The aluminum sleeve keeps the hose at the bottom of the 5-gallon
portable gasoline container.
ii) The flexible clear hose shows the fluid (& bubble) flow
iii) The rigid smaller hose doesn't get stuck in the opening flap

In addition, the smaller rigid hose also gives me more time to move my
mouth away on the first gasoline can so that I never get a mouthful of
gasoline on the first can.

HOWEVER: The one problem I haven't totally resolved is the wetness of
gasoline on the second and third gasoline cans. Right now, I wipe the
smaller more rigid hose on the outside, but there are dribbles of gas
on the inside of the hose which I can (barely) taste on the second
and third cans.

Do you guys already have an ingenious idea to resolve that last as yet
unresolved siphoning problem?

(Please: I can already think of all the jokes so just skip the jokes
if you have nothing engineering wise to contribute).

Thanks in advance!

No engineering necessary,

http://www.shopwiki.com/BULB+SIPHON+PUMP

Lots of products to overcome this.

--
PV

If you can't fix it with a hammer.......you have an electrical problem