Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why are there 15- and 20-amp receptacles?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 01:07:11 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 11/12/2010 11:44 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 11/12/2010 3:36 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

A lot of test equipment I've worked on has a socket, switch and fuse
like this:

http://homanndesigns.com/store/images/iec_power.jpg

The circuit breaker in the electrical panel protects the building
wiring not the equipment. The fuse in the power connector protects
the piece of equipment.

Heh; don't they say that in some electronic equipment a $5 transistor is
used to protect a 10-cent fuse?

None that I've seen but there are some very poor design practices out
there. Many years ago I worked in TV shops (remember them?) and an old
fellow I worked with was always growling about the design engineers
who should be flogged for some of the crap they designed and how they
should be forced to work on it. 8-)

Why? The reality is that they don't want *anyone* working on it. It's a
design requirement. ;-)