Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Kevin(Bluey) Kevin(Bluey) is offline

Default Road grader question.

On 11/12/2010 10:01 AM, Rich Grise wrote:
dan wrote:

What do you all think? I'm still in the "thinking about it" stage, so
no plans to start work on this for some time, but the more I design it
in my head, the less problems I'm likely to run into later.

You're going to _build_ a road grader? =:-O
I'd suggest going to someplace that has them or uses them, and ask some
questions and look at one. For some reason, I got a mental picture of one
where the front wheel strut has a sort of a "roll" pivot, so that the front
wheels could be on one slope, and the back wheels would be at the other.

But what do I know? ;-)

Let us know how it comes out, OK?

Cheers!
Rich

They also articulate at a position between the cabin and the rear
mounted engine ,if you look closely under the operators cabin there are
hydraulic cylinders on each side that can alter the angle of the rear
drive wheels in relation to the center line of the chassis .
The front axle pivots on a ball pivot as already pointed out and the
camber angle of the front wheels can altered as well .

Towable road graders have been around in Australia for along time ,
they are used on cattle staions (ranches) etc so they can repair thier
own roads with out hiring a road grader and operator .
There are a few companies building and marketing them here.

--
Kevin (Bluey)