Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tabby Tabby is offline

Default Plasterboarding a ceiling

On Nov 13, 8:19*am, The Nomad wrote:
On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:05:59 +0000, me9 wrote:
On 12 Nov,
* * *fred wrote:

I'd recommend using 2400 x 1200 boards as it means fewer joints, your
35sqm with cropped 2280 x 1200 boards comes out at about 13 boards
whereas using 1800 x 900 mm minis comes out at 22 boards or a lot more
joints.

More joints, but heavier boards. I got 1200 boards for my ceiling, and
after lifting one, I changed to 900mm, using the 1200 for walls. *With
assistance 1200 would be ok. 9.5mm at 2400mm board may be too bendy for
single handed fitting.

One or two large T squares to support the boards are almost essential,
2x2 with a length of floorboard for the top bit is what I used, a few mm
more than room height.

Guys,

Thank you for that (and the others who have replied) that sounds like a
doable job - I've got a favour or two to call in when it comes to the
lifting thing.

I am trying to avoid a plasterer for various reasons not least I can't
strip the room to make access easy for them.

Thanks again

Nick

That's quite doable, just leave a 5-7mm gap between the boards so you
can squeeze lots of plaster in to reinforce the joint.

Re the boards, you'll need asssitance lifting them, though it is
possible, albeit a little awkward, to do 6x3 9mm on your own, using a
dead man. I'd suggest 2x 1/2 for it rather than 2x2, makes it easy to
bend into position.

NT