Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Color of cherry

On 11/12/2010 7:24 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"Father Haskell" wrote:
Sodium hydroxide, aka red devil lye, and aluminum filings.

------------

Sodium hydroxide, AKA: "Caustic", "Caustic Soda".

Nasty stuff.

50% caustic is most common strength used to make soap as well as other
basic products.

Definitely not something to screw around with unless you have
training, especially when Mother Nature darkens cherry in 6-9 months
or less just using normal daylight.

Patience is a virtue.

Lew

Ed Zachary! I just don't understand all this yap about forcing Cherry to
darken using noxious chemicals, and it goes right back to what I said about us
living in a world of instant gratification. I don't know that I've ever seen
"forcibly" darkened Cherry, but I'd be damned surprised if it looked anywhere
near as good as Cherry that's been left alone to do its own thing.

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/