Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert Green Robert Green is offline

Default Question about electrical code

"Art Todesco" wrote in message
I am installing 2 duplex outlets on my porch. One will be inside
the screened in part, and the other will be just outside the
screened section. The outlets are going to be just above the floor
decking (2x6). The decking itself is about 3' above the ground,
which is covered with gravel. Do I need to run the UF cable in
conduit under the decking, or can it be applied using the standard
Romex staples? The run would be from the house to the outside edge
of the decking, about 10' and over to the next outlet about 10' away.
Thanks.

I am going to guess it's in the end dependent on where you live. I seem to
recall on-line, steel-cage death match grudge fights over this subject, and
it turned out to be dependent on AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction). I
grew in NYC thinking electricity could only run in BX cabling. I remember
seeing my first Romex wiring run thinking "that CAN'T be legal." Turns out
NYC, Chicago and a few other places have the tightest code requirements in
the nation, partly because of their bad experience with electrical fires and
the closeness of houses to one another. It's probably an easy enough
question for your local inspector to answer, although I can understand it in
this economy if you're reluctant to ask and let the government know what
you're up to.

One thing you can be sure of, Usenet is definitely NOT the Authority Having
Jurisdiction in your town. (-:

--
Bobby G.