Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Color of cherry

I can just see it. The Court takes the cabinets off to store for
the trial. In storage, the cabinets darken.

Get a red faced customer and a happy vendor.

Martin

On 11/12/2010 9:15 AM, wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:42:56 -0600, Steve Turner
wrote:

On 11/12/2010 5:00 AM, jtpr wrote:
I felled a black cherry tree in my yard and now I'm milling the wood
from it. I am finding all of this wood to be about the color of
Maple, maybe a wee bit darker. How come whenever you see any Cherry
furniture or cabinets it is a dark reddish brown in color? Is it
always stained?

-Jim

Because we live in a world of instant gratification and people can't stand to
wait the six months to a year it takes for Cherry to darken on its own. And
stained Cherry never looks as good as it would if it were just left alone.

There was a case on one of those TV "court" shows, where someone was
suing a cabinent maker. The person had ordered custom cabinets "made
of cherry wood with a clear finish, and was expecting them to be red.