Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default chainsaw will not start

Tony Miklos wrote:
On 11/11/2010 8:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
I've seen some spray with "top cylinder lubricant".

My Dad had a generator, which didn't start, one time. It was then
killed by a "helpful" neighbor who sprayed ether into the spark plug
hole. Dried out the cylinder wall, and froze up the piston. Must have
been the old stuff.

It would take a hell of a lot of ether to do damage like that. Spraying
ether into the carb of a 2 stroke to keep it running, that will kill it
fast, but one shot in the plug hole? Hard to believe.

The admonition against ether for gas engines (either 2- or 4-stroke) is
primarily owing to compression and fear of damaging head or such by an
excessive over-pressure event. Diesels, otoh, being designed for much
higher compression ratios, have the stoutness to handle it.

So, it's possible it was something mechanical that broke which caused
the problem but agreed a single start cycle wouldn't have killed it for
the cause of no lube owing to ether.