Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D Yuniskis D Yuniskis is offline

Default Another reason ...

Hi William,

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It's always fun to watch the expression on someone's
face when they taste *real* "ice cream"!

That is, high-butterfat ice cream with low overrun. The University of

Actually, the fat is just one issue that "surprises" the
innocent's taste buds. More commonly, it is the intensity
of flavor and the "texture" that gets their attention.

Adding eggs to the base has a subtle taste/feel to it
(though makes it dangerous from a health perspective!).
You end up with something between a "Philly-style" cream
and a "Gelato" (custard based). (I've yet to try marrying
the two "technologies")

Flavor intensity can, at first, startle the consumer. But,
I've found that folks quickly get used to the extra "taste"
and invariably want more -- regardless of how much they've
eaten (and been reminded of how *bad* the stuff is for them!).

I, for example, prefer an almond flavored cream with semi-sweet
chocolate chips (sometimes dark chocolate, instead) and almond
slivers. To the uninitiated, it seems like too many tastes
and textures but it grows on you *real* fast! :

Butter Pecan works for everyone. But, there it really *is*
the high fat content that you taste (1/4 pound of butter in
each quart : )

Maryland dairy store sold such ice cream, and it was a wonderful. Even the

Yes, we had a few dairies in my home town that bottled their
own milk (I still recall how heavy those 1G glass bottles
were -- with their "cardboard stopper") and made fresh ice
cream. You never knew what flavor they'd have on hand...

"premium" brands don't match that quality.

It is amusing because people equate the overrun with "premium taste".
"Softer". Sure, there's less ICE CREAM in there! :

"Just let it sit out for a few minutes and it will be plenty soft...
AND good tasting!"