Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Carnival Splendor cruise ship fire

On 11/11/2010 11:16 PM, CaveLamb wrote:
Dennis wrote:
"Ignoramus4438" wrote in message
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_Splendor

According to Wikipedia, the fire occurred because "crankcase split". I
have to wonder what happened exactly, how could the crankcase split,
and if it did split, it must have been a massive oil leak.

I thought ship engines of this size had "open crankcases" with the oil
lines plumbed. I've also been told that being very slow reving
two-stroke engines they sometimes don't have main caps fitted to the
conrods.

Oh - just read some more of the article, it says "a crankcase split"
so it could have been on some small ancillary / genset engine.

http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/
http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/em...rsk-engine?506

90,000 HP - at 100 rpm (on crude oil - not diesel)
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-D...rk-54883.shtml

And they pollute something horrible...

How 16 ships create as much pollution as all the cars in the world
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ars-world.html

Well, technically bunker oil.

--

Tim Wescott