Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Road grader question.

"dan" wrote in message
Anyone here know anything about running a road grader?
I was looking at a tractor forum where someone had made a pull behind
grader from an old snow plow blade.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/b...nd-grader.html

And it got me thinking of how graders do their thing.
The key point is the blade is mounted between the front and rear
axles. That allows the blade to lift/dip half or less as much as the
axles as it rolls over high and low spots. This allows them to make a
flat surface quickly.

But then I started to think about crowning a dirt road.

A crown makes for a pretty road, but it will also rut and wash away faster.
I guess you get the choice between standing water when it rains or ruts that
will break an axle when it comes to dirt road building. I suspect there may
be some real planning involved. For occasional touch up a long drag frame
seems to be the prefer method by some folks.