Posted to alt.home.repair
Hank[_6_] Hank[_6_] is offline

Default chainsaw will not start

On Nov 11, 5:50*pm, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:08:52 -0800 (PST), Hank
wrote:

On Nov 10, 1:45 pm, kh fami wrote:
Rember it had spark, so don't think plug would be the cause. And I
replaced the gas with fresh.

Per the dealer -- there is cyclinder damage. They are talking to the
Dolmar rep today. I have yet to call.

This is clearly a design or component defect as the saw was bought new
in June of 2009 and used through 1 gallon of gas. The dealer noted
another saw had been brought in recently with the same issue.

I'm going to call them today.. and insist on :

1) root cause of failure
2) new saw or full refund

I simply cannot accept paying full price for a new saw that with a few
hours on it would be subjected to a major overhaul.

I know I'm talking oranges and apples, but I don't trust many dealers.
A guy brought me a Emark 14 hp Kawasaki that wouldn't start. I told
him that it was 20 degrees outside and don't work in the cold (I don't
have heat in my shop and I do repairs as a paying hobby). He took it
to the largest outdoor equipment dealer in central Ohio. He calls me
back a week or so later to say they told him that had low compression
and his cylinder was scored and he needed a new motor and what would I
charge him. I told him to bring it to me and I'll take a look at it
because they had it tore down already. I looked at it and the
cylinders wasn't scored a bit and looked great. Since he was a
previous great customer, I offered to check it out further. I found
that they never checked his valve gap and the valves had 0 gap. I re-
assembled the motor, lapped in the valves and set the gap. Started
first pull. Its been running for at least 2 years.

Hank ~~~cynical old man

+1

Checking the valve gap and setting it is easier than breaking down the
engine... I might call it a "third" step in getting the engine to run.
Not always though -- usually simpler. than that.-

Not really. In order check the gap on a lot of flat head air cooled
engines, you must remove the carb/intake manifold. Also there is no
adjustment screw. To adjust them you have to remove the valve and
grind a little off, then check and do it again mkaing sure you don't
grind off too much.

Hank