Posted to rec.woodworking
Josepi[_11_] Josepi[_11_] is offline

Default Rebuild Power Tool Batteries

The batteries may be safer...on the batteries. Capacitors have a limited
amount of foil and material thickness in them and most come with warning not
to short them out as it blows holes in the foils or conductors internally.

Thanx for top posting. It works much better than the garbage confusion at
the bottom.

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Shoot - the problem is voltage. Kids play with caps larger
than that in the small charge and go cars. The caps are up
in the farad size but 3v. Kills batteries fast.

Getting a set of those is trivial Making a series set and
then parallel sets. The issue is conduction voltage.

If you have clean materials - no much oxides a lower voltage
will work.

But I have seen screw drivers used to discharge cap banks that have
large hunks flashed out of them in usage.

Hard to beat 24v car batteries - 2 each 12v in series to weld with.

Martin

On 11/11/2010 4:46 PM, cHips wrote:
announced;
In ,
wrote:
In ,
wrote:
This techniqee used to be to break down the nickle bridges in NiCad
cells when they went shorted internally.

Same "techniqee"[sic] you (Gymmy Bob/Josepi) use for same
reason - internal shorting, of groups.
How is it working out for you so far amongst the sawdust sniffers?

Possibly but usually you give them a very short burst from a car
battery.

Most capacitors would not have the capacity to actually weld metal.

Remember you're only trying to spot weld very thin metal. I'll try to
find the original article if I can.

Elektor magazine Nov 2006.

Guy used eight 10,000 microfarad capacitors in parallel.

Nice one, Stuart.
Not something I would try at home though:-]

Gymmy/Josie is smiling.. you took the hook and
worked.