Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Glue Storage Question

We used to put it in the freezer.

I used to build 2 meter sail planes and used a fair amount.
Buying in bulk and then sharing with a buddy. I bought speed assist
by the 1/2 gallon. Glue by the pint. I could get a 55 gallon of it -
but that seemed life threatening!

I used to know a manufacturer in southern Ca. Once a major medical
supplier for Vietnam, relighted to service hobby world of users.

I had a small bottle in a tool box. I was the 'Engineer' in charge
of a machine the size of 6 large iceboxes - shipped on a dedicated
truck and the engineers, techs and I would see it installed. I got
to pay for fork lifts and union labor.... deal with the folks. Buy
and pay. The small tube was used once, but had been snapped close...

It came open on the trip back - and put a vapor of glue on the inside
of the tool box. It took years to get the glue out - as it broke down
in the oil of the tools it finally gave up.

Martin

On 11/11/2010 9:20 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 11/9/2010 9:09 PM, trvlnmny wrote:
I do not use polyurethane glue or cyanoacrylate glues very often. When
they are new and I use them they are fine.
What I have a problem with is when I go to use them again at a later
date and they have gone hard. These glues are not cheap and I am
getting fed up with having to throw them away, buy new ones and start
the cycle over again.

What do you advise as a good way to store these so they retain theif
effectiveness?

I use small tubes of super glue gel to glue cue tips on cue sticks. I
store the opened and unopened tubes in plastic pill bottles with a
desiccant. I use the desiccants that sometimes come with the pills.

I have had unopened tubes of glue, sealed in an apparent air tight bag
that were all bad when opened. Have no idea how long they were in the
store.

I never had a tube go bad, even after opened, when sealed in an old pill
bottle with a desiccant. I'd guess about a year is as long as I had them
stored opened, and they remain good.

While on the subject, I might add that several months ago I glued a
6x48" sanding belt back together with some super glue gel, as a temp fix
until I could get some new belts.... damn thing is still holding up.