Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Glue Storage Question

On 11/9/2010 9:09 PM, trvlnmny wrote:
I do not use polyurethane glue or cyanoacrylate glues very often. When
they are new and I use them they are fine.
What I have a problem with is when I go to use them again at a later
date and they have gone hard. These glues are not cheap and I am
getting fed up with having to throw them away, buy new ones and start
the cycle over again.

What do you advise as a good way to store these so they retain theif
effectiveness?

I use small tubes of super glue gel to glue cue tips on cue sticks. I
store the opened and unopened tubes in plastic pill bottles with a
desiccant. I use the desiccants that sometimes come with the pills.

I have had unopened tubes of glue, sealed in an apparent air tight bag
that were all bad when opened. Have no idea how long they were in the
store.

I never had a tube go bad, even after opened, when sealed in an old pill
bottle with a desiccant. I'd guess about a year is as long as I had them
stored opened, and they remain good.

While on the subject, I might add that several months ago I glued a
6x48" sanding belt back together with some super glue gel, as a temp fix
until I could get some new belts.... damn thing is still holding up.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com