Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default Center drills

On 11/11/2010 8:34 AM, RBnDFW wrote:
On 11/10/2010 10:36 PM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 18:04:31 -0800, wrote:
snip
I was out of town today and took the opportunity to look for dowel
pins etc. No luck.

snip

Find a junk printer - dot matrix, laser, or inkjet.
They all have precision ground rods within.
That's what I use.

Also remembered another good tool: Piston wristpins from large diesel
engines. I have 3 that are about 3" dia x 6" tall. They are accurately
ground and make great squares. You can set one on the table alongside
the spindle and look at the gap angle between the two.

Also, for the best precision in drilling holes with my minimill, I use a
collet to hold the drill. The chuck that came with it isn't very good.

--
I can see 2012 from my front porch