Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Tomlinson Mike Tomlinson is offline

Default Will a 16 amp MCB give similar protection to a 13 amp fuse?

In article , writes

Finally to the question, space is limited on the boat and there are
very few places where flush mounted sockets are possible so the
neatest solution is to use two and four way 'trailing sockets' (as in,
the sockets of a multi-way extension lead). However these are
supposed to be protected by a 13 amp fuse in the plug, I really want
to wire them permanently and, if I do this, they will be protected by
16 amp MCBs. It feels to me as if this should be OK as 16 amp MCBs
will, in reality, probably trip at or close to the same current levels
as a 13 amp fuse.

How about these? They have an integral 13A fuse, and while intended to
fit an existing sunken double backbox, could probably be adapted to fit
your boat. I have one at home waiting to be fitted and the gubbins
sticking out of the back needs only a shallow recess.

http://ebulbshop.com/acatalog/Conver...to_4_Gang.html

I got mine for 3.50 ish from Wilkinsons.

--
Mike Tomlinson