Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

Default Will a 16 amp MCB give similar protection to a 13 amp fuse?

In article ,
wrote:
[snip background]

Finally to the question, space is limited on the boat and
there are very few places where flush mounted sockets are
possible so the neatest solution is to use two and four
way 'trailing sockets' (as in, the sockets of a multi-way
extension lead). However these are supposed to be
protected by a 13 amp fuse in the plug, I really want to
wire them permanently and, if I do this, they will be
protected by 16 amp MCBs. It feels to me as if this
should be OK as 16 amp MCBs will, in reality, probably
trip at or close to the same current levels as a 13 amp
fuse.

If you buy the trailing sockets in France/Belgum they will
not have a fuse anyway, as the 13amp fused plug is only a UK
thing (in this context) so should not be a problem.

Does this seem a reasonable/safe approach? It doesn't
have to conform to any specific wiring regulations (which
it almost certainly won't), no one is ever going to
inspect the wiring of the boat at that sort of level of
detail. On the other hand I do want it to be safe for
the usual mix of family and friends as well as for me.

The more time you spend there, the more likley you are to
buy foreign stuff, then sourcing a different wall wart for
your latest gizmo becomes a problem. I'd suggest a mix of
trailing leads. (We have a block of UK sockets for the
g/children to charge their mobiles, game-boys etc. rather
than a load of adaptors which get lost in drawers or packed
in suitcases when they leave.

What does the team think?

If you moor outside the 3 mile limit perhaps you could
create your own regs ;-)

John

--
John Mulrooney