Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Will a 16 amp MCB give similar protection to a 13 amp fuse?

I know this is a slightly odd question, I will try and explain.

I am [re-]wiring a small boat that we have recently bought in Belgium,
I've done all the low voltage 12 volt (ELV strictly I guess) stuff and
am now moving on the to mains supply which (mostly) will only be used
when we're moored at places with shore supply available.

I'm fairly au-fait with all the issues with isolation from shore,
proper protection with RCD, etc. etc. I've already sorted out some
rather major fundamental nasties on that front (wrong way round
connectors leaving live pins when unplugged, no RCD protection, etc.)
but I am left with one nuisance problem that I haven't really solved
yet.

The boat has mostly french/belgian type sockets at the moment, most of
our mains electrical stuff however (of course) has standard UK plugs.
There are very few (if any) of the existing sockets in the boat which
are worth preserving and, after quite a lot of thinking, mucking
about, asking questions here, etc. I have decided that the easiest
solution will be to go to all UK sockets with adapters (or, possibly,
extension leads) for the equipment with french/belgian plugs, with a
longer term aim of changing plugs.

Finally to the question, space is limited on the boat and there are
very few places where flush mounted sockets are possible so the
neatest solution is to use two and four way 'trailing sockets' (as in,
the sockets of a multi-way extension lead). However these are
supposed to be protected by a 13 amp fuse in the plug, I really want
to wire them permanently and, if I do this, they will be protected by
16 amp MCBs. It feels to me as if this should be OK as 16 amp MCBs
will, in reality, probably trip at or close to the same current levels
as a 13 amp fuse.

Does this seem a reasonable/safe approach? It doesn't have to conform
to any specific wiring regulations (which it almost certainly won't),
no one is ever going to inspect the wiring of the boat at that sort of
level of detail. On the other hand I do want it to be safe for the
usual mix of family and friends as well as for me.

What does the team think?

--
Chris Green