Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Another reason ...

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
Don't expect it to last very. If you don't run it long enough to engage
the halogen cycle, the bulb will burn out faster than a conventional
incandescent.

I'm not convinced about this. I have lots of 12v halogens on dimmers, and
their life doesn't seem any different from those which aren't. If
anything, longer. Nor have they blackened as some say should happen.

One thing that does annoy is most CFLs have a shorter life than claimed
when hung with the connector at the top - as most incandescent lamps. Due
to the heat getting to the electronics.

I bought a very expensive GE RO80 CFL spot which claimed a very long life
- precisely because it was difficult to change. And that failed after
about 1500 hours - because of overheating, I was told. In a fitting
designed for a 100 watt incandescent.

WTF is the point of a spot which can't be pointed where you want the light
to land?

And giving an equivalent light output based on some ancient incandescent
bulb no one ever uses?

--
*Bigamy is having one wife too many - monogamy is the same

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.