Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Another reason ...

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I have now found an internet site selling all varieties of
incandescents, including 60 watt pearl, so I shall be stocking up
post haste. I have also just started trying out the halogen versions
of traditional light bulbs, which still seem to make it into the
eco-bollox "book of energy savers", even though they only consume a
few watts less than their equivalent light-output 'traditional'
tungsten cousins. Thus far, I am impressed. I now have a 70 watt
actual, 100 watt equivalent, fitted to my hallway main light fixture.
It is very bright, very easy (for me anyway) to see by, and has a
good colour spectrum, not in the slightest way offensive to my eyes,
unlike the CFLs, which no matter how much anyone says that *they*
can't

tell
the difference with, *I* can ... d :-\

Don't expect it to last very. If you don't run it long enough to
engage the halogen cycle, the bulb will burn out faster than a
conventional incandescent.

Several weeks ago I said I'd switched to all fluorescents. I was
wrong. The stairwell and hallway lamps are all incandescent. (Almost
all of them are still working after 10 years.) Fixtures that are
turned on only briefly should be regular incandescents -- or LEDs!
Other types are not appropriate.

I have 130V "contractor" incandescents in my apartment.
there's one bulb in the bathroom fixture(8 40w mini-bulbs) that is
original,still working after 25 years. One in my dining room [heavily
used]lasted 15 years,but that one was on a dimmer.

I use CFLs where a light stays on a long time[living room],and
incandescents for short on-off applications.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik