Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave H.[_2_] Dave H.[_2_] is offline

Default Another reason ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote...

I have now found an internet site selling all varieties of incandescents,
including 60 watt pearl, so I shall be stocking up post haste. I have also
just started trying out the halogen versions of traditional light bulbs,
which still seem to make it into the eco-bollox "book of energy savers",
even though they only consume a few watts less than their equivalent
light-output 'traditional' tungsten cousins. Thus far, I am impressed. I
now have a 70 watt actual, 100 watt equivalent, fitted to my hallway main
light fixture. It is very bright, very easy (for me anyway) to see by, and
has a good colour spectrum, not in the slightest way offensive to my eyes,
unlike the CFLs, which no matter how much anyone says that *they* can't
tell the difference with, *I* can ... d :-\

My Shed is lit by 75W "eco" halogens (only 3 of 'em so far) plus one in the
Danglepoise over the measuring and marking-out "table", very good light. I'm
fitting a 50W 12V halogen in the lathe's worklight (easier to find than 50V
incandescents around here) so will see (I hope) how that works out.

Of course you can tell the difference re colour spectra - the CFLs (and
worse, "white" LEDs) give 3 narrow bands centred on the eye's sensitivities
to RGB light (which works ok with emittive displays) so only illuminate 3
colours correctly when looking at reflective/absorbtive materials - any
colours in between the 3 narrow peaks won't be rendered correctly, for
values of "rendered under a full-spectrum light" as per sunlight,
incandescent lights, even full moonlight...

They're just adequate for the lav's, hallways, front porch and the cluttered
loft though.

Incandescents also have major green bonuses re recycling or landfill - by
design they don't contain any mercury, other toxic heavy metals, radioactive
materials or toxic organic materials (unlike CFLs), can be run through a
crusher to recover the glasses and metals separately, are far cheaper and
simpler to manufacture - one wonders whether the powers that be actually
considered the whole lifecycle of CFLs when promoting them as "green"? In
the USA and probably in the EU they're classified as "hazardous waste" as
they fail the Toxic Characteristic Leaching Procedure test hence much more
onerous disposal requirements.

Just my ha'pence worth,
Dave H.
--
(The engineer formerly known as Homeless)

"Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men" -
Douglas Bader