Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross[_3_] Gerald Ross[_3_] is offline

Default Wood cracking

Marty G wrote:
Back in August the wife got me a beatuiful piece of olive wood from Wood
crafters abiut 6x6x2. Well last week I finally got around to cuttung it on
the bandsaw and mounted it on the lathe. Rough turned it to the shape I
wanted with nice 1/4" walls did some sanding and everything was looking
good. The following evening went out to the shop and found the peice had
checked severely. some of the cracking went all the wat thru rhe bowl and
across it. I now have a very expensive chunck of firewood. The wood was
dry when I turned it, any thoughts about what went wrong.
?

As a last resort before chunking it, this has saved some bowls for me:
get a plastic container with a lid, larger than the bowl. Get a jug of
white glue (got mine from Lowe's) and mix enough half & half with
water to cover the bowl completely. Put a large rock or half brick in
the bowl to keep it submerged and let it soak in the stuff 2 or three
days. Take it out, wipe it down and let dry in a paper bag.

About half the time it will dry with the cracks healed. Re-turn and
sand as necessary.

The last thing I used this on was a 1/2" by 4" disk with a hole in the
center from an OLD spinning wheel. I had turned a replacement piece
but wanted to save the old one if possible. It had a crack from the
center hole to the perimeter about 1/8" wide and it closed up
completely after the glue brew treatment. The customer had planned to
actually use the wheel but wanted it all original if possible.

Further comment: Too aggressive power sanding will build up heat and
cause fine checking on some woods.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA