Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default Center drills

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 04:16:40 -0800 (PST), Jim Wilkins
wrote:

[...]

I've seen those problems and think I've traced them to wear and play
in the quill and dirt or an accumulation of tolerances in the chuck
tapers and jaws. My cheap drill press shifts visibly when I pull on
the handle enough to make a drill bite into steel, and the loading on
the quill rack changes from supporting it to forcing it down.

I've see a center drill make the mill head vibrate, don't remember
which chuck but the fix was clamping the drill in a collet. Possibly
there was a chip in the taper?

You can check runout and shift under load by indicating a chucked rod,
and quill perpendicularity by chucking the indicator and running it
down an angle plate. This isn't the same as tramming it since the
spindle axis may not be parallel to the quill.

I started to repeat the tests on my drill press to see if it behaves
differently from the mill. I did not do enough to come to any
conclusions. I have to check if my drill spindle is MT3 also which
would make it simple to exchange the chucks.

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC