Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Russ Stanton Russ Stanton is offline

Default Wood cracking

I have turned two olive blanks of the same size. I just measured another
blank that I have at about 18% moisture content. I turned the first bowl to
near final thickness and put it in a paper bag with its shavings for one
month and then finished it. That was a month ago and it is OK so far. The
second one I turned to final thickness and sanded but did not turn the foot
or put on a finish. I again put it in a bag with its shavings. That was two
weeks ago, I just checked it and no cracking so far. I plan to turn the foot
and put on a finish in another two weeks.

Russ
"Marty G" wrote in message
Back in August the wife got me a beatuiful piece of olive wood from Wood
crafters abiut 6x6x2. Well last week I finally got around to cuttung it on
the bandsaw and mounted it on the lathe. Rough turned it to the shape I
wanted with nice 1/4" walls did some sanding and everything was looking
good. The following evening went out to the shop and found the peice had
checked severely. some of the cracking went all the wat thru rhe bowl and
across it. I now have a very expensive chunck of firewood. The wood was
dry when I turned it, any thoughts about what went wrong.
?