Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Birdhouses

Good idea. Washers! - birds want generally the same size and
have a standard size for each bird. Keeps larger birds out.

Martin

On 11/10/2010 6:09 AM, Denis M wrote:
"J. wrote in message
in.local...
In article4vudnT0kguOT8EXRnZ2dnUVZ_h2dnZ2d@giganews. com, gwr40
@comsouth.net says...

Ed Fisher wrote:
Greetings Friend:
Does anyone know were Ican obtain a book or blueprints for making
birdhouses for birds from North America.

Quote from Mother Teresa:
To keep a lamp burning we have to keep putting oil in it.

Shalom:
Ed Fisher

Bluebirds seem to prefer a house on a post in an open area rather than
on a tree or side of a building, however if nothing else is available
they will sometime use them.

If you have squirrels, they will gnaw the opening to try and get in.
Two ways to discourage them that I have used is (1)-use your stapler
and put a lot of them around the opening. Or (2)-cut a 3 inch square
of copper with a hole the same size as the opening and tack it over
the opening.

What happens if you soak the opening in pepper oil?

I used 1 inch (or larger) inside diameter galvanize. steel washers. Drilled
4 holes into the washer to accommodate galv. nails and fastened the washer
on the opening. Nails circle drilling diameter had to be determined as per
the available washers and the existing bird house hole.