Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Is it Safe to Run a Furnace on an Inverter?

On Nov 10, 1:39*pm, Chet Kincaid wrote:
About a 25 year old forced air gas furnace, the kind with an inducer
blower. *No fancy electronics; just whatever kind of time delay they have
for the blower and an updated inducer control board also has a delay
circuit. *So it's more a matter of wondering if the motors, gas valve, and
transformer will object to the perverted waveform of a "simulated sine
wave" inverter. *I have a real generator so the inverter is more of a
backup to a backup. *Thought I'd ask first.

I'm going to guess that the 24V transformer will have an output that's
closer to a real sine wave which lessens any unhappiness of the gas valve
and electronics so I suppose the transformer itself and the motors are the
items of concern.

It will be fine as long as the voltage is reasonably close.

And you'd be surprised how a waveform will remanin intact through a
transformer.