Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default laser

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:27:26 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
.. .
"The Kid" just got a new laser to play with where he works. You get a
lot of toy for $300K. It claims .003 accuracy, he says you can do .001
with careful setup and watching your cut conditions.

Karl

The Trumpf laser at a shop where I used to work cost $750k in 1994.

Fantastic. Just fantastic. 4' x 10' bed.

Steve

Scary thing is that our 5 axis Trumph is now 18 years old and can still
out-perform the water jet cutters in other plants the company has. Got a new
floppy drive for it last year :-)

The plant I started at had a Trumph DNC punch press for panels, I got 600 3"
dia, 12 slot electric motor laminations knocked out of 1.6mm steel sheet for
an apprentice school training exercise (this is how a motor works, now build
one!). The Press Shop wanted big money and months to make a die set, the Panel
Shop said "We're busy at the moment, can you collect it day after tomorrow?"
:-)

Mark Rand
RTFM