Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16525 Ignoramus16525 is offline

Default Lagun FTV-2S with Anilam Crusader II control? Opinions?

On 2010-11-10, RogerN wrote:

"Ignoramus32694" wrote in message
A friend of mine is eyeing a Lagun FTV-2S mill with Anilam Crusader II
control.

This mill looks very similar to a Series I Bridgeport with all 3 axis
controlled by servos. Also has manual handles on all axes, in addition
to servos (nice).

I wanted to know what you think about those machines.

Pictures is he

A friend of mine is eyeing a Lagun FTV-2S mill with Anilam Crusader II
control.

This mill looks very similar to a Series I Bridgeport with all 3 axis
controlled by servos. Also has manual handles on all axes, in addition
to servos (nice).

I wanted to know what you think about those machines.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Lagun-FTV-2S.jpg

Thanks, guys!

I have a Bridgeport with an Anilam Crusader II control. I replaced the
servo motor drives with new AMC drives. They are set up pretty much like
your mill IIRC. The servos have tachometer feedback going to the drives and
the control sends +/- 10V to the drives for velocity command. The DRO
scales feed back the actual position of the table, not the position of the
motor. I have used my with the Crusader II control and that works fine for
most purposes, I do hope to do an EMC2 upgrade in the future though.

This is noce (the scales), as it lets me to also use the mill with the
manual handles.

The Crusader II control is pretty capable for manual programming, mine has
features to make the most of manual programming. There is something like a
1000 move limit that isn't bad for manual programming but if you use a
CAD/CAM system to generate 3d molds it could be a mess, having to break up
the program into smaller chunks and loading a partial program at a time.

Yes, that sucks.

Some parts I used to make were both left and right hand. I wrote the
routine to make a single part, using nested loops and axis offsetting I
could make a matrix (3X7) of 21 parts in a single piece of material. I
added a code to mirror an axis and made the left hand parts.

I would say bottom line is that if the control works good, that's fine. If
not, it's an easy retrofit, encoders in, analog signals to drives, you've

This is nice to know.

One more question related to his mill, how much would it cost to pay
someone to do a "professional retrofit"? 13k?