Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_3_] Hawke[_3_] is offline

Default Obama takes the Pledge of India, puts hand on heart

I try to teach my son that one's reputation is the most valuable
thing you
will ever own. You obviously have not learned that.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama...s/lefthand.asp

What do you have to say about this one?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp

What I have to say about "that one" is that it is fine to criticise
Obama for what he actually did or did not do. What disturbs me and
should disturb you is the apparent development of a right wing
propaganda machine that disseminates fabrications and half-truths when
the actual truth is not "good enough" for their purposes. If the truth
could make their point they would use it, no?

Propaganda is used by those who have their own agenda to serve their own
selfish interests. It is not the same agenda as you or me who want the
best for this country and the world. If it was, they would not feel the
need to lie to us. All modern dictatorships, left or right, began with
massive propaganda campaigns and scapegoats.

The problem is the people you are dealing with. They're the type of
people who when they play tennis with you they call balls out that are
in. In other words they cheat. They don't play by the rules. They want
to win so bad they will do anything. The republicans do this all the
time. As you just saw. It's the republicans who are saying all kinds of
things about Obama that are untrue to try to make him look bad. When
Bush was in office we didn't have to make things up about him. We just
criticized him for what he was doing wrong, everything. We didn't have
to invent things to criticize him for. He provided enough fodder for his
critics by his bad decisions.

The other problem you get with the right wing is that no matter what you
say they have done wrong, and it doesn't matter if you have evidence
that nails them to the wall, they will turn around and make the same
accusation against Democrats. For example, if you say that republicans
all stick together and vote in a block they will say so do the
Democrats. Even though that is not true. We saw how Democrats fail to
stick together when they had huge majorities in both houses. They still
had members who wouldn't stick with the program. So what you can expect
from the republicans is a massive campaign of propaganda and of
scapegoating. If you point that out they just say it's the Democrats
that do that. So you can't actually get anywhere with them. That's why
the only way to deal with them is to keep them in the minority. If you
can do that they can't hurt the country too badly. If you let them have
the majority, like they did under Bush, well, you see what happens. It's
ugly.

Hawke