Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus32694 Ignoramus32694 is offline

Default Lagun FTV-2S with Anilam Crusader II control? Opinions?

On 2010-11-09, Ignoramus32694 wrote:
A friend of mine is eyeing a Lagun FTV-2S mill with Anilam Crusader II
control.

This mill looks very similar to a Series I Bridgeport with all 3 axis
controlled by servos. Also has manual handles on all axes, in addition
to servos (nice).

I wanted to know what you think about those machines.

Hmm ... the one image which you posted the link to is a bit low
resolution, but the controller looks familiar to me.

Differences from the Taiwanese Bridgeport clone with an Anilam
conversion:

1) The handwheels were plastic deep dishes with spring-loaded
folding cranks which would not bash your leg or whatever was
within reach if an unexpected rapid move came up.

This one seems to have handles permanently affixed to the dishes.

Perhaps they do not engage to the screws, unless pushed.

Also, V ways and not box ways.

2) The Bridgeport clone conversion had taken the quill stop rod
and coupled a ball screw to that for quill feed. (The real
Bridgeport "Series I" I have uses a hollow ball screw around the
quill, so the feed force is concentric with the spindle. I
can't really see what is being done here.

This is how my Bridgeport Series II is, hollow screw around the
spindle.

This one, seems to have a screw outside of the quill.

3) My Bridgeport Series I has a fixed ballscrew for the X axis
and a nut which is rotated by the motor (originally stepper,
now servo). This has the advantage of eliminating whip in the
leadscrew during a rapid move -- but also eliminates the
possibility of using a handwheel to manually feed it.

4) I don't see the tape system for holding the program files (a
small box which sits on top of the cabinet), but you can use a
computer connected to the RS-232 port to accomplish the same
thing -- and quicker. You'll need to find the magic code to
switch save/load output/input to the RS-232 from the interface
for the tape drive.

Could be a problem , too.

5) Looks like a really solid machine -- confirming what I have
read about Lagun machines. Made in Brazil, IIRC.

6) The Crusader II has a sort of conversational programming
mode -- which translates to actual G-code inside the machine
as you can determine by examining the file produced by saving a
program to a computer.

Hm, interesting. The control looks very ancient, which is possibly a
good thing since it does not have a CRT.

7) Assuming that it is like what I worked with -- always remember
to turn off the power to the control box (switch on the back) or
you will come back to find the base pan full of waylube from the
constant operation of the oiler.

[ ... ]

I wanted to know what you think about those machines.

http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/Lagun-FTV-2S.jpg

Well -- you have what I can offer based on the photo and my
twenty-year-old memory of the Crusader II by Anilam.

I have no idea how much wear the machine has suffered. However,
it does seem to be missing the crank handle on the Y-axis wheel.

Good Luck,
DoN.