Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The $4K Wood Shop

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 05:03:09 -0800, wrote:

Lathe JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch 350

A couple of suggestions. The Rikon mini is about the same price, but has
a 12" swing and 16" between centers and, IMNSHO, an easier belt change.

http://www.rikontools.com/productpage_70-100.htm

The next step up, and what I now use in my small shop, is the General
25-200 Maxi-lathe VS. It has variable speed, a swivel head, a 12" swing
inboard and a 19" swing outboard. 17" between centers.

http://www.general.ca/site_general/g_produits/lathe/25-200.html

Whatever you get, be aware that the cost of tools and accessories often
exceeds the cost of the lathe, especially on the lower priced lathes.
Here's what the local turners club suggests for tools.

http://www.inwwoodturners.com/contro...20Woodturners%
20Beginners%20Tool%20List.pdf