Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The $4K Wood Shop

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:03:09 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Having recently had a minor windfall, I decided to splurge and finally
round out my budding shop. I have a budget of about $4K, and the
entries below add up to about $3K. The rest will go on odds and ends,
lumber, and anything that I may have missed.

My shop is half of a two-car garage. I already have a table saw and
miter saw (both poor quality), a decent router, and some small hand
tools, including a decent 4-set of Irwin chisels and a few Avant
planes.

Projects will range from small items (pens, jewelry boxes), ranging up
to furniture, and guitars if I get brave. I want to develop a range
of skills involving hand tools and power tools. This is very much a
personal enrichment hobby.

The tools I've chosen are intended for the long haul, so I'm
definitely trying to get these picks right the first time.

Just remember that you'll grow into and out of machines as you work,
and your workstyle can change drastically from what it is now, or is
perceived to be in the near future.

Any
suggestions or comments on my selections below?

Bandsaw Grizzly G0555 14” 1HP 425
Shipping 74

Or larger, for resawing or cutting larger workpieces?

Planer Makita 2012NB 473

Looks like a nice li'l planer.

Jointer Grizzly G0586 8” 575
Shipping 139

G0586 is no longer made. Why not a nice spiral jobber?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jo...terhead/G0656X

Lathe JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch 350

If you ever turn table legs, you'll want something in a longer bed.

Drill Press DELTA DP300L 190

A Griz floor model is much more handy and doesn't take up bench space,
while taking up very little floor space.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-S...ll-Press/G7944

Dust Collection DELTA 50-760 1.5HP 1,200 CFM 371

Why not lower-maintenance, 2hp, 1,700cfm Griz?
http://www.grizzly.com/products/2HP-...llector/G0548Z
(I installed three new 240v 30a outlets in the shop for my new tools
when I moved here. Total cost was a day of my time and less than $100
in materials.)

Tenoning Jig Grizzly H7583 77
Dado Stack Oshlun SDS-0842 84
Belt Sander UNDECIDED ???

1" and 6" belts come in handy, as can oscillating sanders.

Marking Gauge Rockler 21

Don't forget a striking knife. Cheapie:
http://www.chipsfly.com/Merchant2/me...=W/PROD/34-330
or exotic:
http://knight-toolworks.com/?page_id...3&product_id=3
(I have an original Knight, before he teamed up with Chester.)

Clamps Bessey KRK2450 160

Add about 50 variously sized HF Pittsburgh bar clamps (about the same
price on sale) and you'll have a shop's worth.

Coping Saw Robert Larson 540-2000 Coping Saw 17
Water Stones UNDECIDED

2x6" 600 and 1200 grit diamond plates, preferably DMT. and a handful
of various finer grits of wetordry sandpaper for ScarySharp(tm)ening
things.

Square Empire Level E250 12-Inch Combo Square 12

Precision squares are a better value.

Lubricating Paste Minwax Paste Finishing Wax 12

Briwax and Renaissance are much better.

Mineral Spirits 6

Gallons of denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, and acetone are always
handy in the shop, too. $10 a pop, can last years and years.

Total Current Cost: $3000

Congrats on your windfall and prospective new tool purchases!

--
Education is when you read the fine print.
Experience is what you get if you don't.