Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Steel eyeglass frame repair?

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 06:47:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:25:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 9, 8:14*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've used soft solder to repair glasses frames. *More than strong enough
& avoids the heat needed for silver. *I suppose it's possible to control
the heat needed for silver solder, without destroying the frames, but I
can't & it sounds like you wouldn't be able to either (said without
aspersions).

'Though I have repaired frames, nowadays I don't bother, as a new pair
is $12 (shipped) from Zenni (
http://www.zennioptical.com/). *I'm a very
satisfied customer, as are others here.

Bob

I had not considered regular low temp solder - I have some silver
bearing (low temp) solder that is about 2 to 3 times the strength as
regular solder. I have read all of the Zenni threads and I am
conflicted. I find my self more and more looking at the country of
manufacture when I am buying something. I'll gladly pay a 20% premium
for a North American made product (I consider Mexico as part of NA)
over a made in CHina. The price for the Zenni eyeglasses is mighty
tempting - do I help to keep the local eyeglass store in business or
do I help to outsource more of our economy?

Let's see, $450 local or $25 import, delivered? Hard question.

What part(s) of the $450 'local' glasses are actually made locally
(other than the profits)? Just curious.