Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Steel eyeglass frame repair?

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 05:25:57 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Nov 9, 8:14*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I've used soft solder to repair glasses frames. *More than strong enough
& avoids the heat needed for silver. *I suppose it's possible to control
the heat needed for silver solder, without destroying the frames, but I
can't & it sounds like you wouldn't be able to either (said without
aspersions).

'Though I have repaired frames, nowadays I don't bother, as a new pair
is $12 (shipped) from Zenni (
http://www.zennioptical.com/). *I'm a very
satisfied customer, as are others here.

Bob

I had not considered regular low temp solder - I have some silver
bearing (low temp) solder that is about 2 to 3 times the strength as
regular solder.

That'll work. If you're not confident and skilled with a small torch,
a soldering gun will work with the silver-bearing solder. For small
work, I place the solder on a clean steel surface, pound it flat with
a clean hammer, and snip off a sliver to use on the job.

It is not difficult to do silver brazing with a Smith Little Torch.
http://www.littletorch.com/

Practice on something else first to get a feel for it. Silver solder
in the form of .005" ribbon or 1/32" dia wire is available at
Brownell's.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5..._SILVER_SOLDER

The mistakes most beginners make are getting in a hurry and using too
much heat.