Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Steel eyeglass frame repair?

On Nov 9, 8:25*am, wrote:
On Nov 9, 8:14*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I've used soft solder to repair glasses frames. *More than strong enough
& avoids the heat needed for silver. *I suppose it's possible to control
the heat needed for silver solder, without destroying the frames, but I
can't & it sounds like you wouldn't be able to either (said without
aspersions).

'Though I have repaired frames, nowadays I don't bother, as a new pair
is $12 (shipped) from Zenni (http://www.zennioptical.com/). *I'm a very
satisfied customer, as are others here.

Bob

I had not considered regular low temp solder - I have some silver
bearing (low temp) solder that is about 2 to 3 times the strength as
regular solder. *I have read all of the Zenni threads and I am
conflicted. *I find my self more and more looking at the country of
manufacture when I am buying something. *I'll gladly pay a 20% premium
for a North American made product (I consider Mexico as part of NA)
over a made in CHina. *The price for the Zenni eyeglasses is mighty
tempting - do I help to keep the local eyeglass store in business or
do I help to outsource more of our economy?

According to the Wall Street Journal, Sunglass Hut, Lenscrafters and
Pearle Vision are all owned by the same company, and buy their stuff
in China. I had the same conflict, and this was the straw that broke
the "local" camel's back. 500% to 2500% markup just to pay for their
fancy storefront and rude salespeople? Give me a break.