Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default Hot wire cutter question, power supply

CaveLamb wrote:
Jon Anderson wrote:
On 11/8/2010 4:35 PM, CaveLamb wrote:

I'm real curious (after all this discussion) about what you decided
to do?

It was in one of my replies. After reading about the toxic fumes I'd
get from polyurethane, I suddenly remembered a hacksaw blade I have
that looks like it came from a bread slicing machine, and maybe it did.
Going to make a simple fixture to hold the blade under tension at the
required height, and oscillate the foam past the blade.
I'll post a few pictures to the Drop Box when I get back to fitting
the drawer for my micrometers.

I may yet make a hot wire cutter for some other project, but I don't
have many cuts to make, so the blade should do fine.

Jon

You WILL get a smoother cut with a hot wire.

A NIOSH mask solves the fumes problem nicely.

The 1/2" - thick closed - cell foam cuts easily, quickly and
cleanly with a hobby (X-Acto) knife. Tight radii are easy to make.

AMHIKT (Go ahead!)

--Winston