Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels[_3_] Lee Michaels[_3_] is offline

Default The $4K Wood Shop

wrote in message
Having recently had a minor windfall, I decided to splurge and finally
round out my budding shop. I have a budget of about $4K, and the
entries below add up to about $3K. The rest will go on odds and ends,
lumber, and anything that I may have missed.

My shop is half of a two-car garage. I already have a table saw and
miter saw (both poor quality), a decent router, and some small hand
tools, including a decent 4-set of Irwin chisels and a few Avant
planes.

Projects will range from small items (pens, jewelry boxes), ranging up
to furniture, and guitars if I get brave. I want to develop a range
of skills involving hand tools and power tools. This is very much a
personal enrichment hobby.

The tools I've chosen are intended for the long haul, so I'm
definitely trying to get these picks right the first time. Any
suggestions or comments on my selections below?

Bandsaw Grizzly G0555 14” 1HP 425
Shipping 74

Planer Makita 2012NB 473

Jointer Grizzly G0586 8” 575
Shipping 139

Lathe JET JML 1014VSI 10-Inch-by-14-Inch 350

Drill Press DELTA DP300L 190

Dust Collection DELTA 50-760 1.5HP 1,200 CFM 371

Tenoning Jig Grizzly H7583 77
Dado Stack Oshlun SDS-0842 84
Belt Sander UNDECIDED ???

Marking Gauge Rockler 21
Clamps Bessey KRK2450 160
Coping Saw Robert Larson 540-2000 Coping Saw 17
Water Stones UNDECIDED
Square Empire Level E250 12-Inch Combo Square 12
Lubricating Paste Minwax Paste Finishing Wax 12
Mineral Spirits 6

Total Current Cost: $3000

Do you need a jointer? A lot of guys do without. And many who have them,
don't use them that much. Much of a jointers job can be done on a table saw
or with a router.