Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default ID this gas pipe fitting?

"RogerT" wrote in message
I have a gas line coming into my house through the basement wall. . . .
......What I am trying to figure out is, what is that silver steel color
knurled fitting? Whatever it is, it is threaded onto the pipe that is
coming into the house and threaded into the reducer fitting.

Here are two photos:

http://i56.tinypic.com/qx9kl1.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/15n7syh.jpg

Here's a new twist. It just dawned on me that I could check another
property that I own and see what the gas line looks like coming in. It
turns out that it also has the same type of silver fitting. Here are photos
of that one:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2nq8lyb.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/33e4idw.jpg

http://i56.tinypic.com/2zoda80.jpg

On this one, the silver metal part and the fitting look like they are all
one piece. I tried scratching it with a metal screw and the screw does mark
it.